The area is a paradise for nature lovers and hikers. In the area around our holiday home you can enjoy stunning landscapes and a wide variety of unusual natural phenomena. The vast, freely accessible forests that make up the border district with Poland begin at the end of the village. There is also a unique range of culture and architecture to be found here. We will present a selection of what is on offer:
- Benedictine monastery from the 14th century. Definitely worth visiting. In the former refectory there is copy of the Shroud of Turin on display (the only copy north of the Alps). The stunning monastery library is a treasure trove of rare books. Then there is the Adalbert church with its richly decorated ceiling. Open every day with guided tours every hour (in German, English, Polish and/or Czech).
- The mummies of Vamberk: 34 mummies are to be found in the extensive cellars of the monastery of Broumov, which originate from the crypt of the St.-Procopius church in Vamberk. The oldest mummies date from the 17th century, but the majority are from the 18th century. They are mostly mummies of patricians, priests, organists and other prominent residents of Vamberk.
- Regional Museum With a collection of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque artworks, and with exhibitions of weapons, Christmas cribs, shooting targets, Broumov traditional clothing and 19th-century cultural artefacts from ordinary people and patricians.
- The Church of the Virgin Maria, the oldest wooden church in the country, dating from 1449.
Beer museum: guided tour and of course a tasting of Opat beers.
- Broumov flying club -Sightseeing flights over Broumov and surrounding area (on Saturdays and Sundays)
- Ruprechtický Špičák, 880 m. high mountain with viewpoint, in the Javory hory mountains; accessible by foot from Vižňov.
- Open-air swimming pool and sauna in Meziměstí and open-air swimming pool in Teplice nad Metují
- Swimming in a natural pool in Bozanov or Radkow (Poland)
Teplice nad Metují
- The rocks (see page on Broumovsko Region)
- Monument on the Bukova mountain
- The Wolf Gorge, Stork Hill and the ruins of Bischofstein
Police nad Metuje
- Paper models museum
- Merkur museum (museum of the building kits Merkur, a.k.a. Meccano)
- Both museums are located at the same address: Tyršova 341, 549 54 Police nad Metují
The Polish border area with, among other things:
- Andrzejówka, where Queen Wilhelmina and Princess Juliana spent their holiday in February 1936.
- Gory Stolowe National Park
- Basilica of Wambierzyce
- the Klodzko fort
- the city of Walbrzych
- underground factories of Osowka and Walim
- Krzeszow churches
- Waterpark Nowa Ruda
- Książ Castle
- Beech Mountain and the old Castle Mountain
- The rocks (see page on Broumovsko region)
- Vyhlidkova, the panorama,(27 km),
- Javoří Mountain (27 km) en
- Steny (52 km – passport required) for mountainbikers and crosscountry cycling
- Stolove mountain (126 km) for road and cross-country cycling (passport required)
Broumov’s tourist office has a wealth of information, maps, routes and leaflets about the region. You will also find a selection of these in the leaflet rack in the hallway of our house.